October 7, 2013

Vacant Home and Property Insurance – VA, DC, MD

Commercial properties, whether they are income homes, vacation homes or commercial buildings, all need to be insured even when they are vacant. In fact, one could argue, they need vacant dwelling insurance even more if they are empty. But, this is often easier said than done. There are quite a few insurance companies who do not offer vacant property insurance, put another way, they will not insure a home, commercial building, or apartment that is vacant.

If you are looking for vacant dwelling insurance, stop shopping. TriState Business Insurance will provide insurance on your vacant property. Even if your property is insured while occupied, once the occupants vacate, a standard homeowners insurance policy will often not provide full coverage after 90 days.

If you have a vacation home or other property that will be unoccupied for a good length of time vacant home insurance policy should be in place. Vacant properties have a greater risk of break-ins, trespassers, water damage or fire damage. This is one of the reasons that insurance companies do not want to insure them. Occupants are there to watch over the property or notify emergency services in the case of a problem. Unoccupied properties have no one there to keep watch. But, this is the very reason why vacant home and property insurance is a necessity.

For more information, contact TriState Business Insurance.